Thursday 31 October 2013

WHEN DRAB MEETS TWAIN



So, today I woke up feeling a little drab, not that I had a rough night or any of those looming fears to face the day, no. And being an ardent user of the internet, I rummage through the sites hoping to see some well written content that could somehow salvage my rather dreary self. To my luck, I stumble on this Mark Twain excerpt which talks about the worth of life and all that. The favourite part is when he says “I did not attend his funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.” This line is described beautifully when "eternity" is compared to the same non-existence we did not experience before birth.

I read this and am thinking, surely, there`s always a nice way to explain something bad, like my the many times that we get judged by all and sundry. Being an avid reader of Twain`s work, I never get disappointed. He is full of subtle humour and whenever I feed my eyes with his marvels, I always get pleasure, a replenished soul and most importantly, real intellectual enjoyment. It`s makes me wish there was a better class of us who read Mark Twain, and if there is, then that`s it, they`re more replenished and intelligent, something we all need. Away from that, before I digressed, I had a plight, my sleazy and dreary morning before Mark Twain happened. It may not apply to all but; some content has a way of reversing moods. And if this fits the glove to most of you, the better, but if it doesn’t, well, "Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress........ But the bottom line is, there’s actually a person I know who fits this feeling for me.

5 comments:

  1. Nice one Allan but i feel you have used big words which have
    simpler and well known synonyms that could be used.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Care to mention some of them Lilly?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sure,..I rummage through the sites...,my sleazy and dreary morning ...,being an ardent user of the internet,feeling a little drab(maybe dull would have worked better)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sure, the word fits well but you know me, I hate keeping it in the norm.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yea which is a good thing btw,makes your work stand out..but then dont use too many big words..:-)

    ReplyDelete