Tuesday 24 November 2015

CLOAKED IN LOVE

We don’t talk about the day I told her I love her
We chose to forget it and continue living in denial
We don’t talk about the day she said, “I like you Allan, I might date you for a little while, then maybe not after that’’
We just let Adele write about us, song after song
We don’t even meet anymore
We just bump into each other, give smiles hovered with wishes and carry on with our lives
As if we know where we’re headed
We’re like strangers who’ve known the other for eternity
Fantasies warped my expectations and I forgot how it’s like not to love
How it’s like not to love what you only have
Shadows from her past tightened their grip on her every time she thought of love
I saw her fall, dust herself up and tread on to be searched
I’ve seen her wipe old smiles and wear new faces
I’ve seen her enjoy being miserable alone, I’ve stretched out my hands and touched her soul with my fingertips
We’ve gone over her memories when dawn seemed far, and silently wished we’d make ours at every welcoming of dusk
I’ve seen her collect her memories and squeeze them into one single tear


She never loved her chest, she said it was too small but that didn’t matter to me as I was closer to her heart
She wanted someone to grow old with, but no, that’s too much responsibility to me, I mean, why not remain young forever together? Or spend time trying out different personas in our love stories
Sometimes it’s losing what you never had
Sometimes it’s saying no to something you haven’t found
Sometimes it’s never thinking about some-times you spend alone
Sometimes it’s wishing that you meet several decades later, when you’ve both learned to love the hurt away
Sometimes, this sometimes changes into every-time and there’s no escape
To give chances, to acknowledge that even the most broken of men walk amongst us
That even men with flaws expect kindness and love in return
That not every prince is charming
We don’t even text each other, I mean, why should we?
We never moved on, we just got accustomed to the pain
Everything beautiful reminds us of each other, and then our minds leave our bodies
We were halfway in
We see each other in every verse in a poem, every chapter in a book, in every character of some reel we’re watching
Ours is an untold story, lacking nothing but life, as a part of me dies upon the mention of her name
I even bought a new perfume to replace the scent of fresh fruits in a rainy season that always followed her soul
We’ve learnt to sing alone in the dark, and replace tears with new tears
We believe that moving on will happen when we learn not to love again
We even changed our diets, who wants to remember of a recipe that has memories for flavors?
We didn’t even leave each other escape routes to find each other; we just slept, and woke up to empty beds next to each other
We just took each other’s heart and left
We don’t even think it hurts that we miss each other while we’re just mere dreams
At every break of dawn, I thank her for loving me, because I then know what true love is, and she wasn’t it.




2 comments: